Antonio Conte Has Told Christian Eriksen That The Door Is Always Open For Him At The Club

Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest during a match at Euro 2020 last June and revealed earlier this week that he “died for five minutes” when he collapsed on the pitch.

But the 29-year-old has now recovered and is searching for a new club due to Serie A rules dictating that he can no longer play for Inter Milan due to having an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) fitted.

While he was Inter manager, Conte signed Eriksen, describing the midfielder as “really important player” and a “top man”.

“For sure, it was great, it was fine, to see him on a pitch, to see that he is kicking a ball,” the current Tottenham boss said after seeing a video of Eriksen training.

“What happened this summer was very not good, not good, for the people that worked with him, and the people that know him. I was scared in that moment.

“And now, to see him again ready to play football is great news. I think for Christian, the door is always open.”

Eriksen is desperate to represent Denmark at the World Cup in Qatar at the end of the year but admitted to Danish broadcaster DR1 in an emotional interview: “Whether I’ll be picked is another thing, but it’s my dream to come back.

“So until then I’m just going to play and prove that I’m back at the same level.

“That’s really why I feel it’s time to get out and do an interview, because I know what I want – I want to play football again.

“They [the doctors] have said ‘fine,’ said it’s good, so everything is stable, which therefore feels like a green light to be able to play football again.”

Speaking ahead of Spurs’ FA Cup Third Round clash with Morecambe on Sunday, Conte also revealed that Heung-min Son will not be available for the tie and is expected to be out for the remainder of the month.

Mo Salah told to delay Liverpool decision amid Man Utd’s mammoth Paul Pogba offer

The Italian suggested that Son, who played 79 minutes in the Carabao Cup loss at Chelsea on Wednesday, “could stay without training sessions” until the mid-season break starts on Monday, January 24.

“It was a strange situation,” Conte explained. “Against Chelsea I made two substitutions together, Lucas Moura and Son. Not for injury, but to try to give them 15 minutes of rest.

“The day after, Son felt a bit of pain in his muscle, in his leg and he had a scan. Now we have to make the right evaluations from the doctors.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.